Bandari salvages draw in second CECAFA group match

Huye, Rwanda – July 10,2019

Bandari FC secured a last minute equalizer to settle for a 2-2 draw in their second Group B match against Rwanda's Mukura Victory at Huye Stadium in Rwanda on Tuesday.

With both teams working hard for victory, the match was very entertaining from the start and in the 32nd minute the goal gates were open for Shaban Kenga who scored Bandari's first goal heading a lovely cross by Collins Agade into the net.


Bandari FC's Shaban Kenga celebrates after scoring the first goal for the team.

The hosts reacted to the goal with quick attacks and Muniru Abdul Hahaman would have leveled in the 45th minute with a thunderbolt shot straight into the goal but Bandari's custodian Farouk Shikalo punched it out.

The Dockers held to the 1-0 advantage by controlling the proceedings of the game until the half time break.


Bandari FC forward William Wadri vies for the ball against Niyonkuru Ramathan of Mukura Victory.

However, upon resumption of the second half, the hosts were very persistent tormenting the Bandari FC defense with quick and relentless attacks.

In the 46th minute of the game their efforts were fruitful as Nyilinkindi Saleh Mbappe outfoxed defenders, got space and unleashed a screamer straight into the goal past a hapless goalkeeper to restore parity.

With the Bandari forwards failing to create any clear cut opportunities in a tense match, Head Coach Bernard Mwalala made changes bringing in Benjamin Mosha and Wycliffe Ochomo in the 54th and 67th minutes for Danson Namasaka and Darius Msagha respectively.


Bandari FC Head Coach Bernard Mwalala (C), Team Manager Wilson Obungu (L) and Assistant Coach Nasoro Mwakoba following proceedings of the game at Huye Stadium.

The introduction of Ochomo into the game fueled the Bandari side with new energies and in the 69th minute the gigantic player had a one on one chance with the Mukura goalkeeper Ismail Wilonja who managed to save his goal bound shot.

Bandari FC's spirits were temporarily dampened in the 82nd minute when Mukura got a second goal through Ntwali Evode.

The visitors remained composed battling for the goal up to the last minute and the efforts were rewarded in the 91st minute when a cross was delivered to Yema Mwana who managed to score and salvage a draw for Bandari.

Commenting on the outcome of the match, Bandari FC Head Coach Bernard Mwalala said mathematically his team still has a chance to progress to the quarter finals of the competition.


Bandari FC substitute Wycliffe Ochomo controls the ball.

"I am not surprised with the result of the match because we have seen even in the ongoing Africa Cup of Nations underdogs beating the so-called favorites. This is a learning lesson for my players because they underestimated our opponents. We now must do everything possible to improve to get all the three points in our last group match against Azam," he said.

Bandari FC is sponsored by the Kenya Ports Authority (KPA).

In the second group B match played at the same stadium, KCCA of Uganda beat Tanzania's Azam by 1-0 to top the group.

KCCA scored the winner in the 50th minute courtesy of Sadat Happy Anaku.

Meanwhile a moment of silence was observed at Huye Stadium in respect of the Kenya's legendary footballer the late Joe Kadenge and the Azam media staff who perished in a road accident.